Monday, August 29, 2011

Amy Amy Amy


In case you didn't watch the VMA's last night, Russell Brand, Tony Bennett, and Bruno Mars did a tribute to the late Amy Winehouse.  It was okay...but I don't know that it did Amy justice.

The clip of Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse in the studio in March really made me break down into tears.  Seeing that Amy was back up on top of her game, seemingly clean enough to crank out the gritty jazz she is known for, mere months before her death is heartbreaking.  It would be one thing for her to have passed away from drugs and alcohol during her sharp descent promptly following the success of Back to Black.  It's another thing for her to have rebounded and passed away from...well we don't know yet.

I don't know that Amy Winehouse's true musical genius has ever fully been recognized by the masses.  I have always been vocal that she is the best artist to have come out in my lifetime.  Most people harped on her lifestyle and ignored her immense talent, focusing on her coked up performances where she sounded like hell. I knew soon after she fell into her hole that we would not be graced with another album that would be up to par with Back to Black and Frank.

Seeing that clip of her with Tony Bennett, though, changed my mind.  She could have proved me wrong but unfortunately did not have the chance with her untimely death.

I hope Amy doesn't fade into history and her music burns just as brightly as it always has.  Amy Winehouse is a true legend and should be revered as such.  A tragic genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment